Most common canopy issues

One of the coolest design features of the mini-el is its opening canopy! Everything just goes up so you can easily get in, unmatchable by a conventional door for this size of vehicle.
This is one of the things on the top of the list that makes me love the car!


Well... however... two of the major bodyworks issues come from the same part: CRACKS in the plexiglass and the super annoying gap between the canopy and the "bathtub chassis".
The cracks in plexiglass are a nightmare! But getting cold air (and even some rain) in the cabin because of a gap is just ridiculous. 

In my restoration I'm decided to get ride of both. 
The cracks are in places already painted, so I just need to make them nicer later.
The most common solution to survive with the gap is to change the rubbers for bigger ones or add extra ones to fill the gap... since I was planning a full repaint, I decided (to go crazy) and correct them by adding some extra plastic to the canopy's edge :] 

I started by striping both chassis and the canopy's rubbers (and some other stuff in the way) 

Afterwards, with the canopy in closed position, I measured the gap between both roughly each 10cm and took note on the canopy. 

RIGHT SIDE:
LEFT SIDE:
The green trace signals the zones where the gap is ok, meaning approximately 16mm. Elsewhere the values are written in black. 




Comments

Popular Posts