Steering column preparation

In my early post regarding the steering wheel disassembly it was all about watching and crying as the disassemble move on: rust, destroyed bearing, worn out shock... the only good thing left was the steering column itself and steering pinion!
(bad looks but in good condition!) 


In the meantime I ordered some parts for the mechanical rebuild, some just arrived!! 😁 

To give a better idea, I made some photos and compared them. 
Here's the top of the steering cone (new on top) ... just for fun, I sandblasted the base of the old one. Now THAT is deep corrosion! 
One of the things that also shocked me was the bottom bearing of the steering column:
The replacement one (on the left) is an SKF 6008-2R51. I cannot wait to feel the steering after this!! 

Since corrosion I found in the steering cone was so bad, I decided to give two layers of Brantho-Korrux in the area that touches the chassis and in the ones expose in the wheel cavity of the chassis. I also painted the base of the steering cone in the same way so it can survive a little bit better than the previous one. 
I strongly recommend not to paint the bearing fitting! 
To finalize, I also gave two layers of Brantho-Korrux in the rusted steel portion of the steering column:

Comments

Popular Posts